|You can use Excel and mail merge in
a word processing software like Microsoft Word to create personalized
letters and emails.
and other companies send the same letter or email to many customers but
would like the letter or mail to look personalized. Then using the data
from an Excel worksheet or other sources you can customize the address
and the greeting line. As you can observe, creating data in Excel is
Let's see how the mail merge is implemented in Microsoft Word using
- First create your data in Excel. This is an ongoing
process and the data of the customers is updated on a regular basis.
- Now you write your letter in word. We have written a
short letter for demo purposes.
- Next you click on 'start mail merge' and select
you click on 'select recipients' and select 'use existing list'. From
the 'select data source' window you navigate to the file that has your
Excel data. Click 'OK'
- Then you insert the name and address as
shown in the video by using the 'insert merge field' in Word. we have
shown how to insert the first and last name to ensure that the video
does not become too long.
- Next we insert the 'greeting line'
- You can preview the merged document by clicking on
- finally you click on 'finish & marge', select
individual documents and from the new window select 'all' and 'OK'.
you've mastered the basics you can also run queries and merge the
specified data as per your query like all people living in a certain
'locality' or only having the title 'Dr' before their names, etc. As
you can guess mail merge and Excel are a great team!